Dr. Tiso studied bioengineering at the TU Dortmund University and received his doctorate at the iAMB (RWTH Aachen University) in 2016. While he was able to gain knowledge in process engineering at the TU Dortmund University, he obtained knowledge about molecular biology techniques at the iAMB. After his doctorate, Mr. Tiso worked as a group leader at the iAMB. During this time, he conceived scientific projects in cooperation or independently, raised funds, coordinated the scientific work and supervised scientists and PhD students. In so far 15 research projects Dr. Tiso supervised 13 PhD students, two PostDocs and three research associates. Dr. Tiso is author or co-author of 30 publications. In addition, he is the first author of three book chapters. Dr. Tiso is also co-author of two patents. Furthermore, he has prepared contributions in the form of posters and talks (four, two of which were invited) for numerous conferences.
In the various projects, Dr. Tiso has initiated and maintained national and international cooperations. Partners include international research groups in Dublin (Ireland) (Kevin O'Connor at UCD), Daejeon in South Korea (Sang-Yup Lee at KAIST), Laval in Canada (Eric Déziel at INRS), Rio Claro in Brazil (Jonas Contiero at UNESP), Madrid in Spain (Auxiliadora Prieto at CSIC), London in England (Patrik Jones at Imperial College) and numerous national partners at various universities in Germany (RWTH Aachen, Ulm University, Bonn University, HHU Düsseldorf, WWU Münster, Hohenheim University and others). In two cases these contacts resulted in opportunities for Dr. Tiso to spend several months in the laboratories of the respective partners (Imperial College London and CSIC Madrid). Among the cooperation partners with whom Dr. Tiso has worked more closely are also industrial contacts. These include SOPREMA (Strasbourg, France) (plastics production), BIOPLASTECH (Dublin, Ireland) (biotech company producing PHA), Evonik (Essen, Germany) (chemical, biotech company) and FRINGS (Rheinbach, Germany) (fermenter and fermentation equipment manufacturer).
- Blesken CC, Strümpfler T, Tiso T + and Blank LM+ (2020). Uncoupling foam fractionation and foam adsorption for enhanced biosurfactant synthesis and recovery. Microorganisms 8(12).
- Askitosari TD, Berger C, Tiso T, Harnisch F, Blank LM and Rosenbaum MA+ (2020). Coupling an electroactive Pseudomonas putida KT2440 with bioelectrochemical rhamnolipid production. Microorganisms 8(12).
- Demling P, …, Tiso T +, Jupke A and Blank LM+ (2020). Selection of a recyclable in situ liquid-liquid extraction solvent for foam-free synthesis of rhamnolipids in a two-phase fermentation. Green Chemistry 22(23).
- Catur Utomo RN, Li W-J, Tiso T, …, Blank LM (2020). Defined microbial mixed culture for utilization of polyurethane monomers. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 8(47).
- Wei R, Tiso T, …, Blank LM+ and Bornscheuer UT+ (2020). Possibilities and limitations of biotechnological plastic degradation and recycling. Nature Catalysis 3(11).
- Scholz K, …, Tiso T and Hayen H+ (2020). Hyphenation of supercritical fluid chromatography with different detection methods for identification and quantification of liamocin biosurfactants. Journal of Chromatography A, 1631.
- Blesken CC, …, Tiso T + and Blank LM+ (2020). Genetic cell-surface modification for optimized foam fractionation operation - Integrating strain and process engineering for enhanced rhamnolipid synthesis. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology 8(1116).
- Tiso T +, …, Zapp P, Jupke A, Jaeger K-E, Büchs J and Blank LM+ (2020). Integration of genetic and process engineering for optimized rhamnolipid production. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 8(976).
- Kubicki S, …, Tiso T, Feldbrügge M, Blank LM and Jaeger K-E (2020). A simple assay for screening and quantification of biosurfactants in microbial culture supernatants. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 8(958).
- Herzog, Tiso T, Blank LM, Winter R+ (2020). Interaction of rhamnolipids with model biomembranes of varying complexity. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Biomembranes, 1862(11).
- Bator I, Karmainski T, Tiso T +, and Blank LM+ (2020). Killing two birds with one stone – How strain engineering facilitated the development of a unique rhamnolipid production process. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 8(899).
- Tiso T*, Sauer DF*, … Blank LM+ (2020). A combined bio-chemical synthesis route for 1-octene sheds light on rhamnolipid structure. Catalysts, 10(8).
- Scholz K, …, Tiso T and Hayen H+ (2020). Comprehensive liamocin biosurfactants analysis by reversed phase liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometric and charged-aerosol detection. Journal of Chromatography A, 1627.
- Jeck V, Froning M, Tiso T, Blank LM and Hayen H+ (2020). Double bond localization in unsaturated rhamnolipid precursors 3-(3-hydroxyalkanoyloxy)alkanoic acids by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry applying online Paternò-Büchi reaction. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 412(23).
- Blank LM, Narancic T, Mampel J, Tiso T, and Connor KO+ (2020). Biotechnological upcycling of plastic waste and other non-conventional feedstocks in a circular economy. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 62.
- Germer A*, Tiso T*, … Blank LM+ (2020). Exploiting the natural diversity of the acyltransferase RhlA for the synthesis of the rhamnolipid precursor 3-(3-hydroxyalkanoyloxy)alkanoic acid. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 86(6).
- Bator I, Wittgens A, Rosenau F, Tiso T, and Blank LM+ (2020). Comparison of three xylose pathways in Pseudomonas putida KT2440 for the synthesis of valuable products. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 7(480).
- Bockwoldt JA, Zimmermann M, Tiso T, Blank LM+ (2020). Complete Genome Sequence and Annotation of the Paracoccus pantotrophus type strain DSM 2944. Microbiology Resource Announcements, 9(1).
- Meyers J, …, Tiso T, … R. Palkovits+ (2019) Electrochemical conversion of a bio-derivable hydroxy acid to a drop-in oxygenate diesel fuel. Energy & Environmental Science, 12(8).
- Saur KM, … Tiso T + (2019). A pH shift induces high titer liamocin production in Aureobasidium pullulans fermentation. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 103(12).
- Scholz K, Tiso T, Blank LM, and Hayen H+ (2018). Mass spectrometric characterization of siderophores produced by Pseudomonas taiwanensis VLB120 assisted by stable isotope labeling of nitrogen source. Biometals, 31.
- Wittgens A, … Tiso T, Blank LM, … Rosenau F+ (2017). Heterologous production of long-chain rhamnolipids from Burkholderia glumae in Pseudomonas putida – a step forward to tailor made rhamnolipids. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 102(3).
- Tiso T, … Blank LM+ (2017). Designer rhamnolipids by reduction of congener diversity: production and characterization. Microbial Cell Factories, 16(225).
- Drabo P, Tiso T, … Blank LM, Delidovich I+ (2017). Anionic extraction for efficient recovery of bio-based 2,3-butanediol - a platform for bulk and fine chemicals. Chemistry & Sustainability, 10, 3252-3259.
- Tiso T, … Blank LM+ (2016). Creating metabolic demand as an engineering strategy in Pseudomonas putida - rhamnolipid synthesis as an example. Metabolic Engineering Communications, 3, 234-244.
- Wittgens A, … Tiso T, Blank LM, … Rosenau F+ (2016). Novel insights into biosynthesis and uptake of rhamnolipids and their precursors. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 101, 2865-2878.
- Behrens B, Helmer PO, Tiso T, Blank LM, Hayen H+ (2016). Rhamnolipid biosurfactant analysis using online turbulent flow chromatography-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A, 1465, 90-97.
- Behrens B, Baune M, Jungkeit J, Tiso T, Blank LM, Hayen H+ (2016). High performance liquid chromatography-charged aerosol detection applying an inverse gradient for quantification of rhamnolipid biosurfactants. Journal of Chromatography A, 1455, 125–132.
- Johann S, Seiler TB, Tiso T, Bluhm K, Blank LM, Hollert H+ (2016). Mechanism-specific and whole-organism ecotoxicity of mono-rhamnolipids. The Science of the total environment, 548-549, 155-163.
- Behrens B, Engelen J, Tiso T, Blank LM, and Hayen H+ (2016). Characterization of rhamnolipids by liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry after solid-phase extraction. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 408, 2505-2514.
- Wittgens A*, Tiso T*, … Blank LM+ (2011). Growth independent rhamnolipid production from glucose using the non-pathogenic Pseudomonas putida KT2440. Microbial Cell Factories, 10(80).
*) These authors contributed equally.
+) Corresponding author(s)